The marching band is the most visible performing ensemble at Moeller. The “Marching Crusaders” entertain thousands of fans each fall, performing at home and away football games, and consistently score high in marching competitions. Always known for quality musical performances, the marching band in recent years has risen to new heights with theme shows.
All students in the band and percussion classes are members of the Crusader Marching Band. All students wishing to perform in these groups should be enrolled in band or percussion class. Students who are unable to fit band in their course schedule due to an academic conflict may still be able to participate in marching band and/or Symphonic Winds. Students and parents should confer with Mr. Browning as soon as the schedule conflict becomes known! Participation in the marching band is also open to students from schools that do not have a marching program. In the past, students, students from Ursuline Academy have participated in the Moeller Marching Band. Students from other schools have similar requirements for membership, including enrollment in their school’s curricular music class, and studying with a private lesson teacher. Students who are enrolled in band/percussion class, but who are playing a fall sport may be excused from marching band after consultation with the directors. Students who try out for a fall sport but do not make the team will be included in the marching show as much as possible, either in the sideline percussion or as an alternate on the field. All students who are participating in a fall sport are welcomed and encouraged to perform with the band in the stands at football game and come to contests, if they do not have a conflict.
Summer Band Practices
In order to prepare for the fall performances, it is necessary to hold some rehearsals during the summer. These rehearsals are extremely important for our success as a group. Please check the summer schedule attached to this Handbook, and check for updates on the website (www.moeller.org).
Freshman Camp is for all members (including transfer students) who are new to the Moeller Band Program. This is a chance for you to get to know each other and for us to get to know you. We’ll work on musicianship and teach you the fundamentals of marching. Attendance is mandatory for ALL new members, even if you do not intend on marching.
Pre- Camp is a week of preparation for our away Band Camp. We meet at Moeller from 6- 9:30 every evening to learn and memorize show music and continue refine our marching fundamentals. This year’s camp is July 25- 29. Attendance is mandatory for all Marching Band members.
Band Camp is held at Wright State University. Students stay in the dorms for the week. You will work harder, and have more fun, than you probably ever have before. We will learn the marching drill (your moves on the field) and refine music memorization. There is also some time each day for socialization and recreation. Details about what to bring, etc. will be given to you before camp. This year’s camp is August 1-5. Attendance is mandatory for all Marching Band members.
Marching Band Rehearsal Rules
- Be on time! This means arrive ten minutes early. Plan ahead for traffic problems for evening rehearsals! Be on the field, ready to practice, at the predetermined time after school rehearsals.
- Absolutely NO food, drinks, candy or gum are allowed in the band room or on the practice field. Water bottles will be permitted. Water and snacks will be provided by the Boosters after the half-time show. NO other food or drinks are to be consumed. Parents, please do not bring your child a soft drink or food in the stands.
- Students must have all necessary equipment (instrument, sticks, music, set books, etc.) at every rehearsal.
- Wear athletic shorts or sweats so you can move- not jeans or baggy, droopy cargoes. You’re an athlete!
- Wear athletic shoes and socks. Absolutely no sandals, high-tops, or boots. Just normal low-cut gym or running shoes.
- To make rehearsal time productive there will be no unnecessary talking. The director has the final say as to what is “necessary.”
- Students will follow all directions immediately.
- There will be no running, play fighting, or horseplay in the Band Room.
- Students must respect our facilities and all musical equipment, whether it belongs to himself or herself, another student or Moeller.
- All rules of Moeller/MND apply at all rehearsal situations.
Moeller’s Band Booster Organization provides state-of-the-art marching band uniforms. Students will be fitted for, and provided with, special marching shoes and white gloves as part of their marching fee. Students must purchase black socks to be worn with the black marching shoes at all times.
The “Summer Band Uniform,” includes a collared polo-type shirt, provided for all band members as part of their fees. We use this for performances in hot weather and certain less formal functions. In addition, ALL band members (this also includes members not participating in marching band due to participation in a fall sport) are to purchase a pair of khaki, plain front pants from Educational Outfitters. They are all to be purchased only at Educational Outfitters so they are uniform in style and color. Make sure to inform them that you are a member of the Moeller Band so that they give you the correct style. The pants are required by August 1st and cost around $20.00.
Educational Outfitters is located in Sharonville, at 2656 Sharon Rd (near I75 Exit, across the street from Watson’s). Their phone number is 771-1234.
M - F 10:00am - 6:00pm
Saturday 10:00am - 3:00pm